Monday, February 22, 2010

Travel-food for the working / wandering paleo

I confess, I'm still in researching-the-logistics mode. Most of the food options offered near my workplace are based on grains and sugar (or both). And for the near-mid future, I have virtually no time to cook during the week-- before this experiment, I have been cooking my foods in bulk, once a week.

My challenge, in addition to assessing the workplace options more thoroughly, is to find paleo / low-glycemic foods that I can take with me, from school and then to work, that will provide me with 2 meals and a snack or 2 for my day. These foods need to be stable for at least 4-6 hours at room temperature, easy to transport in a backpack/messenger bag, and provide enough nutrition that I can successfully resist the siren calls of the cafeteria/vending machine/large platter of cookies that somebody left in the conference room.

So far, I've found unsweetened applesauce single-paks, raw fruit, and treenuts (which my teeth are not happy about, but that's another story).

Longer term, I'm seriously considering undertaking a beef-jerky-making project--recipes welcome!

3 comments:

  1. Edward, we were just talking about beef jerky! This will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've already mentioned fresh fruit. Apples are by far my snack food of choice. Beef Jerky would be absolutely rad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been snacking on grapes and olives a lot. I'm also planning to make myself a batch of roasted carrots soon (will also post the recipe).

    ReplyDelete