Saturday, February 27, 2010

Taking (Making) Stock

In light of the recent interest in soups, here's my recent foray into making stock (aka 'soup base').

I started by taking the roasted fat trimmings from a 2.3 lb chuck roast that I made earlier in the day, and combined them in a big pot with wilted-but-not-rotten veggies, as well as the carrots I roasted the roast on top of, and stems / tops / random bits from some root vegetables and kale that I cooked separately. I covered the meat and vegetable trimmings with water, brought it to a boil, and then covered it and left it to simmer. For a long time. Eventually, I strained the liquid into a container and discarded the solids. The result could be reduced a bit more, but it is a perfectly serviceable beef/vegetable broth for making soup.

This same process also works for chicken carcasses (be sure to add the feet, if you have them).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! Commercial stock often has sugar and other nasty things.

    If you want a clear stock, turn the heat down as soon as it reaches a boil, preferably right before. Or, I've found that sticking the whole pot in an 180-degree oven overnight works well. As far as I've noticed, however, this is only for cosmetic purposes or if you're terrified of the French chef watching your every move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, also, i just realized what I said about making it clear doesn't apply because you don't have bones in this stock.

    ReplyDelete