Saturday, March 20, 2010

How does your garden grow?

For those of you who are interested in gardening, there are two community gardening opportunities coming up (probably more around town, too).

In Hampden, there is a community garden and park near the 3500 block of Ash Street (near Baldwin Street). The group there is working on clearing a few city-owned lots and converting them to community gardens. Donations and assistance welcome; contact William at 410-900-7779.

Near where I live, there is a community garden, and I'm planning to rent a plot this year (it's CHEAP!). Anyone from our paleo group who would like to garden with me on my plot is welcome to, as I think (hope) the plot will yield more than I'll be able to use myself. E-mail me or contact me offline if you're interested. We're having a garden clean-up day next Saturday 3/27/10 from 10 to 12 noon.

For those of you interested in learning more about container gardens, you can get more information from the Home and Garden Information Center (http://hgic.umd.edu/) (which I think is affiliated with the Maryland Master Gardeners program). They've held workshops on container gardening in the past. In addition, they have a live chat option and other ways of seeking gardening advice. I believe the Maryland Master Gardeners usually attend the Sunday farmer's market under the JFX (May thru December) and are on hand there to answer questions about gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment