Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Exasperation

Sometimes I just feel like giving up. It's exhausting trying to defend the way I eat and explain myself to people who are completely ignorant of food. A lot of people come to me with earnest questions, but it seems some things that I am saying, such as that animal fat is good for you and industrial seed oils like canola and soy are bad for you, are blowing people's minds. It's not their fault - our media, our government, and the food companies have all brainwashed us into thinking that our ancestors were idiots and the only thing that will save us is yet another industrial product or a homegrown tomato. In any case, it's not the point that ancient civilizations were founded on grain and that many cultures eat a lot of grain. That doesn't make grain good for us, and it doesn't mean that people aren't getting sick. As it has been said before, paleo is a science-informed framework by which modern man can make healthy food choices - it is not a historical re-enactment.

Anyway, so I haven't posted here in a long long time. I've been cooking. I've been cooking for the whole damn world, it seems like. Cooking for most people is a chore or an occasional hobby. For me, it's just a part of every moment of every day. That's the way it was for our ancestors, our grandmothers, even some of our mothers. I'm not idealizing traditions that kept women enslaved, but I'm saying that you can't get around the fact that good food takes constant attention, time, and commitment. Making it a team effort makes it easier, but right now, the people who would be on my team still need to be taught so much, even things as simple as how to cut up an onion quickly and efficiently.

I have the luxury of working from home, so I can devote most of my time to food. And although I love cooking, sometimes I just wish someone else could be the one boiling bones for broth or searing a fillet of wild salmon, or braising the chicken thighs. I wish someone else would, like me, get up and go straight to the kitchen to make breakfast. This is the unfortunate side of eating well - you must pay a lot of attention, even most of your attention, to the food you eat. It's possible to make delicious meals in not very much time, but in order to continuously eat well, you have to continuously have something going on in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment